PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tracey Curtis-Taylor (Merged threads)
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2017, 07:04
Mike Flynn

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Reading between the lines it appears Ewald is described as "excess baggage" on the first leg from Farnborough to Merville-Calonne.

Derrick Gunning from Modern Air at Fowlmere was there in the background overseeing the flight planning to France (we had to change this at the last minute because of the adverse wind conditions at Le Touquet) and loading my excess of baggage into one of his fleet aircraft to accompany me to Charleville. It was all the most tremendous support!
source http://www.birdinabiplane.com/news/newsletters/0810/

I suspect the plan was for him to board the Spirit of Artemis in L2K but they used Merville after she failed to land due to crosswinds.

They then flew to Charleville for a night together before Derrick returned to Fowlmere and TCT and Ewald flew on to Hungary.

Arrived in Hungary last Friday evening in a blazing sunset and landed right on dusk. This after flying for seven and a half hours from Charleville in northern France, across Germany with a fuel stop at Schwabisch Hall, through the eastern slopes of the Austrian Alps and on to Fertoszentmiklos, some 80 miles south of Vienna, where we are now based with 3G Classic Aviation.
Given her previous lack of cross country experience and suggested poor nagivation skills she would have found the flight to Hungary challenging.

If my theory is correct the only part of the Farnborough to Sydney flight where she flew solo was the first leg.

How do we discover how many POB the Stearman had on departute from Merville?

Last edited by Mike Flynn; 8th Jan 2017 at 07:24.