PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JFK closed
Thread: JFK closed
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2003, 18:49
LTNman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BBC reporting that a Virgin Atlantic plane en route from London to New York had to turn back three hours into the flight.

Exhausted passengers from Virgin Atlantic flight VS017 arrived back in the UK at 0200BST on Friday, after an aborted attempt to reach New York, and were taken to a hotel overnight.

Virgin is planning to fly most of the passengers out to New York at 1530BST on Friday.

Businessman Arthur D'Arcy, 45, originally from Surrey but now living in New Jersey, said Virgin had treated the passengers well.

He said: "About three hours in the pilot came on the tannoy and said, 'I'm sure you are wondering why we are taking a left turn in the middle of the Atlantic'.

"He then told us it was a power failure in the US and because we were before the halfway point of the flight we would have to go back.

"Everyone is obviously very tired but there isn't really much you can do about it."

But Becky Jones, 27, from Swansea, said: "I have just sat on a flight for two-and-a-half hours, to be told we have got to come all the way back to where we started.

"And all just because there was a power cut. You can't tell me that the whole of the US and Canada can't even sort out their national grid. It's ridiculous.

"We were basically sitting on the plane the whole way back worrying that there has been some terrorist attack or a plane has flown into a building."

Motocross rider and amateur photographer Danny Axworthy, 21, from Knutsford, Cheshire, said: "I can't believe we've got to go through it all again tomorrow.

"But Virgin were pretty good about it all. It's not their fault. They have been as helpful as they can.

"You've got to blame the authorities in the US, but that's America for you."

BA has asked passengers to check the status of flights before heading for the airport, by calling 0870 8509850, or via their website.