PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it worth Microlighting?
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2003, 18:21
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did I miss it? Has anyone mention what seems to me most obvious - which sort of microlights do you want to fly?

3-axis microlights look like conventional aircraft; in fact, some of them WERE conventional aircraft until the 450kg limit came along. Some of them, like the Jabiru, fly faster (and some say perform better) than some conventional aircraft. And the controls work the way you're used to. And you have a huge range, from £4000 (or less) single seaters, to £30,000 (or more) machines that will do everything.

Flexwing microlights are the ones that look like flying motorbikes with a hangglider wing...and the ones that scare people. The controls work differently, and if you're used to 3-axis controls, you'll find that they work...backwards. If you do a search you'll find a long thread on my attempts to fly them; I went solo but never finished the conversion, but the thread might give you a bit of an idea what to expect. I only found them mildly scary, and soon got over that, but they were very cold! But they ARE cheap - £3000 or less (though when I was in Scotland someone flew into Oban in a Pegasus Quik, all £24,000 of it) - and are very cheap to run.

Maybe you should try both types and see which you like.