PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bodily Functions on FJ Ferry Flights ?
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2017, 15:55
noflynomore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I once had the privilege of having the run of a field full of late '40s and '50s a/c, mainly transport types. Among these several had pee tubes in the cockpit, a rubber hose with a long funnel-shaped rubber attachment on the end. I'm pretty sure some of the C47s had them, the Skyraider, Catalina and maybe some of the smaller WW2 bombers too - B25? Many aircraft had them. I was told you either tested them before flight with a coke bottle full of water or used them at your peril as any ground crew you might have upset had a simple remedy to get you back!

On a similar vein in the early days of immersion suits on the N Sea they initially weren't personal issue. You got handed one before boarding on the outbound leg and on arrival there was a scramble below the deck to shuck them off and hand them over to the offgoing crew. This was all very well except that some of the guys used to spend their last night of leisure in the all night fishermen's bars at Footdee. Being stuck in a goonbag for two hours up to some of the further rigs caught out not a few but there was no option for them. Neither was there an option for the poor offgoing sod who got handed this treasure - if he wanted to go on leave that day...Yekk!