PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bodily Functions on FJ Ferry Flights ?
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2017, 09:10
longer ron

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
Slight thread drift but after I left the RAF (1983) I had a 12 month gliding holiday in Africa,I also used to do some 'work breaks' on the local AF Hawks (T mk60) as a civvy.Anyway - one day I had to replace a tailplane PCU (power control unit/actuator) - the job made more interesting by the lack of a hyd rig or proper tools - because we were a bit out in the sticks.After I signed the job up - the Boss (Sqn Ldr) asked me if I was happy with the job owing to the lack of tech support and I gave my standard answer of " I would be absolutely happy to do the Air Test with you"
He replied that was impossible as he had a student to fly with the next day.
Anyway - next day dawns and the stude was sick/unfit to fly and the Boss said to me "still wanna go ?" - Of course says I.
So off we go for a real fun trip inc spinning and high mach number dive and also 'bouncing' a couple of his studes
In Africa I did suffer occasionally with the squits and towards the end of this Hawk flight I did start to have 'that feeling in the old bowels' but I managed to hang on as we 'beat up' the Hunter sqn line LOL.
But after we shut down I quickly unstrapped,ran along the main spar,jumped off the wingtip and carried on to the trap - which fortunately was free.
After I had 'logged in' the Boss said that I should have told him - but I had correctly surmised that it would be my only chance of a jet flight out there