PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA Medical Standards Discussion Paper
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2017, 20:21
Sunfish

Received 89 Likes on 32 Posts
Old Akro,,your comment is consistent with what I have been told. CASA AVMED is ruled by lawyers not doctors. This was quoted to me by a DAME who had been talking to AVMED doctors at a conference, the AVMED doctors hated the situation but were powerless against the lawyers and their "liability" arguments. The Act needs to be changed before the lawyers can be dethroned.

P.S. I also know one opthalmologist who did the AVMED training but then declined to sign the agreement on the grounds that she was required to report any condition she found to CASA AVMED without the consent of the pilot. Her particular objection was the requirement to report the discovery of eye conditions that would take twenty + years before they became problematic for flying.

My own opinion is that AVMED may well be a danger to the health and safety of both aviators and the travelling public because their attitude to discovered medical conditions encourages pilots to avoid disclosing anything and defer seeking treatment in an effort to keep their certificate. IMHO AVMED needs to change its culture from the negative to the positive as in keeping pilots healthy and flying for as long as possible.