PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Petition by Carol Voderman
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2017, 16:31
Chris Scott

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Quote from sharpend:
"Can you imagine what would happen if a regular RAF officer behaved like that on TV?"

My wife and I watched most of the episodes that Carol Vorderman was in (yes, that sad! ) and I simply don't understand what behaviour you found inappropriate. Or is it just her taking part in a "reality" [sic] show that you are objecting to? I've never been a fan, but my opinion of her went up because of her maturity and empathy with the group. It's hardly a picnic. We were disappointed that she was eliminated about half way.

Surely her wearing of a senior RAFVR officer's uniform as an ambassador for the Air Cadets is legitimate, and is known to be only an honorary, part-time role? Therefore, she's perfectly entitled to continue with her career elsewhere, even if that sometimes involves what some of us might regard as froth. It's refreshing to have one celebrity who's able and prepared to promote maths and science, and of course aviation.

Having said that, I'm not sure she's doing the right thing in this petition. As a civilian I regard the disdain in which WW2 Bomber Command has been held by all governments and the holier-than-thou establishment for nearly 72 years now as a national disgrace. I suspect, however, that Squadron Leader Johnson would not want to be knighted simply because of the accident of longevity. No doubt he would say that its award would also reflect belated recognition of his deceased colleagues, but he would know only too well that such a sentiment would really be missing the point. For government to start awarding honours this late in the day could be regarded as an insult to those survivors who remained officially dis-honoured to the grave.

I've not read his autobiography and if his post-RAF activities merit some kind of honour, that's another matter.