PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No more accommodation allowance EK
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2017, 15:53
BANANASBANANAS

Received 116 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by donpizmeov
Bananas,

I see your point. But its really a chicken and egg type of thing. The bond was increased and lengthened, but still they came. Compass test is now at own cost, and you need to get yourself to a testing centre, but still they come. These jets are really big and shiny it seems. I am not sure being only offered company accommodation will stop too many.
As MR8 correctly said. It's happened before. It will happen again.
Agree as far as you go but there is more to this situation given the 'critical trading conditions' that the company alludes to.

Removing accommodation allowance is not, by itself, a silver bullet that will deter recruitment 100% but it is another lash in the 'death by 1000 lashes' currently being served up.

Provided the company finds new lows to descend to, standards wise, in its recruitment drives it will always get the numbers through the door (checked to line is a different matter completely) but where is this going to stop - ppl and an r/t licence as the basic requirements to apply?

And, seeing this unfold, how much more of a 'push factor' is this going to be for the, already greatly reduced numbers of experienced Captains still here? We are seeing less and less experienced new joiners being trained by greatly overworked and increasingly inexperienced new trainers, experienced trainers are leaving the training department, Captains with extensive training backgrounds in wide body jet from previous airline employment are refusing to apply for training positions - and all this against a backdrop of savage budget cuts for all departments - including Training.

We are headed towards another smoking hole in the ground as the company pursues a 'profit at all costs' approach and I don't want to be around when it happens.

Last edited by BANANASBANANAS; 5th Jan 2017 at 16:42.