PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sea Vixen Fuel Management
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2017, 11:23
Geriaviator

Received 241 Likes on 75 Posts
This Sea Vixen thread brings happy memories from 45 years ago when I and my Tiger Moth (pic below) were very privileged to be guests of the Royal Naval Aircraft Yard, Sydenham. The skipper, Captain Monk, had instructed on TMs during the war and it was a treat to fly with him. We flew from the Naval officers' golf course alongside the tower and nobody seemed to mind the tailskid furrows along the turf -- or they were too polite to mention them.

The Yard had its own Vixen which carried the Red Hand of Ulster on its fins and (all this is from memory) was flown solo on occasion. Then came an edict that Sea Vixens required a permanent Looker because the pilot could not access all controls. I think this included some aspect of fuel management. While pilots were on hand at the Yard, Lookers came and went, so it was agreed that a civilian Looker could be trained to fill in when necessary.

The lucky (?) man was my friend Ivan, a radar techie who was familiar with the beast's electronic innards. So the Yard's Sea Vixen, always polished to perfection, was adorned with the names of the Lt/Cdr (Air) Tom Tuke on one side, and Mr Ivan Mawhinney on the other. I tried Ivan's Coal-Hole and did not fancy it one bit, although the Looker's seat in the nose of the PR9 Canberra proved even worse.

Incidentally, Sea Vixen nose 125 at IWM Duxford was flown there from Sydenham, the remaining machines being broken up. After takeoff 125's gear would not retract so it was decided to leave it down rather than risk the obvious problem. Just thought I would mention this in case anyone fancies giving 125 an airing someday