PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Considering leaving BA
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2017, 08:54
blind pew

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Left BEA in 78 for long haul but because of the retirement of the VC10 chucked in BA. In my six years in BEA we lost eight aircraft..absolute rubbish management.
There were four great carriers then; Cathay, Swissair, Pan Am and TWA. Passed the Cathay interview but took Swissair.
Doubled salary but tripled emoluments.
New American aircraft, well maintained and clean, great cabin crew relationship, and flew jets in a way that none of my mates experienced bar those on Concorde.
But we were expats and foreigners.
Wife couldn't handle the racism nor the isolation...daughter beaten up at school and if you haven't experienced an expat community then don't.
Went from 15 days off to 9 and 9- 20 nights away.
But got a minimum of a month off every school summer holidays, had an au pair so that my wife could come on trips as did my kids and then took up to two months unpaid leave as had the income to do so.
Did it work and would I do it again?
Who knows but many of my friends in BA had a lot of family problems, colleagues visiting their wives, kids on drugs and in prison....
Imho put your family's well being first.
Three of those carriers are gone.
BA nearly went in the 80s.
Met a FR skipper who was on three four day trips per month on 100grand net...now that appealed to me.
PS..it took me 20 years to get a command.
Good luck