PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Considering leaving BA
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2017, 17:40
Pork chop express

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i bet not one single pilot this calendar year leaves BA as a Captain for another airline. People say a lot of crap on the flight deck when in full on whinge mode.
If you are talking LH Capt yep i would agree with you it's highly unlikely, SH however there will definitely be some leaving as others have confirmed above. I've a good friend whose a Capt on SH, he flew with 4 junior FO's before starting their Command courses, they openly admitted that their plan was 1000hrs LHS and then DEC LGW with Easy and the accompanying £20k-£25k pay rise. If you don't want LH at BA and want to be home most nights and not night stopping round Europe who could blame them.

The focus of this whole post is Family & Lifestyle and for some (NOT ALL) you can't achieve this with BA without taking a (25-50%) pay cut to go part time and even then you'll still be away regardless of SH or LH (Excluding LGW) as that is a part of life at BA and for some they love it.

I've done SH at 2 other airlines prior to joining BA on LH and for me personally and my family being home at night (or in the morning!) just works better compared to the constant coming and going of a long haul schedule and the associated pressure this puts on things at home not to mention the groggy mild permanent flu feeling! Which of course then affects your ability to spend quality time at home.
I've flown with many guys since joining BA who loved the job in their 20's early 30's, but admit now they are married and have young children that its just not the same for them. This is where it gets tricky at BA because being away is part of the lifestyle that some people grow very tired of.