PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tracey Curtis-Taylor (Merged threads)
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2017, 22:04
SATCOS WHIPPING BOY

Received 55 Likes on 28 Posts
We must not forget the non-aviation sites that have suffered a TCT presentation and clearly demonstrates to me that the source of all the solo malarky came from her.

I posted these two links in a previous comment (#1480) but it seemed to get buried.

I stumbled across this https://www.thewi.org.uk/become-a-me...pinney-theatre

The summary has the following to say:

Northamptonshire County Federation of WIs' Annual General Meeting [october] 2014
Spinney Theatre, Northampton
Delegate's report
This year NCFWI returned to Spinney Theatre, Northampton, to hold its Annual General Meeting. The speaker was Tracey Curtis-Taylor, the intrepid pilot who flew alone over Africa in a1928 bi-plane on a journey of over 8000 miles. We were also honoured that our National Chairman, Janice Langley, joined us for the evening, along with local dignitaries, local Federation guests and above all, our fantastic members.

and the actual delegates report... https://www.thewi.org.uk/__data/asse...2014.docx#2014 NCFWI Delegate's report ...expands a little more :

The guest speaker was Tracy Curtis –Taylor , a truly inspiring woman. She spoke about her epic solo flight in a restored bi-plane from Capetown in South Africa to the UK recreating the journey of Mary Heath in 1928.She told about her adventures along the way over war torn African countries and plans to write a book about it. Her next challenge will be to fly to Australia copying Amy Johnson’s journey in 1930.

I wonder where the WI got the impression it was conducted "alone" and "solo"
The WI would not report on anything that did not happen, as it happened, so it would be fair to say that TCT was promoting her flight as a solo effort. I note with a chuckle that they held a raffle that night; 1st prize - a flight with TCT, 2nd prize - TWO flights with TCT. ;-)