PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - For the thinker in GA! In defence of the employer
Old 15th Aug 2003, 07:54
The Bullwinkle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong (and I am sure that you will), But if a young pilot with a fresh CPL turns up in the middle of no-mans land with a brand new licence and a heap of enthusiasm, looking for work and is fortunate enough to find an operator who says "Sure kid, I'll give you a start, the wages are $ xxx per hour and you only get paid when you fly", and the young pilot at that point says "Thankyou very much, when can I start", wouldn't that be regarded as an Enterprise Bargaining Agreement?

The pilot knew what the wages on offer were before he started, and he could have refused right then and there.

I think many pilots start this way, but once they have been flying for a couple of months, they begin to feel that they should be paid more.

No pilot AT ALL (and I don't care what you say about this), has ever finished his CPL and decided, "Great, now I have my CPL, I can fulfil my lifelong dream of flying a Cessna 182 around the bush until I retire".

It's a bit like buying a house under the flightpath to a major airport because it is cheap, then complaining about the noise from the aircraft.

You knew and ACCEPTED the deal at the start, make the most of the opportunity you have been given, then move on.

BW