PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unclear TP requirements
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2017, 08:08
Captain Bradley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unclear TP requirements

Hi,

I am not related to flight testing though I have recently been reading some job listings for test pilots. What is unclear to me, requirements of some of them seem to not include any test pilot course (or it seems to not be compulsory). Here is one example:

- "Flight Test Pilot" at Bombardier

Qualifications

As our ideal candidate,

- You must have practical knowledge of flight test procedures and requirements with a minimum of 3 years of flight test experience or equivalent
- You must have a Bachelor’s Degree in an engineering discipline or equivalent OR be a graduate of an accredited test pilot school (USAF , Navy , French , Empire or National Test Pilot School)
- You must hold the appropriate US or Canadian, instrument ratings and commercial licenses
- You must have a First Class FAA medical or equivalent required
- You must have a minimum of 1500 hours including 500 hours of turbine powered flight experience as a pilot
- You must have interpersonal skills necessary to work effectively with a variety of individuals, departments and organizations
- You must have strong communication skills (written and spoken)
- You must have the ability and willingness to work with irregular hours and work days
- You must have the ability to travel on short notice
- You must hold an ATP/ATPL or attain within 6 months of hire

By reading this you can get a feeling that having aerospace engineering degree combined with some previous flight testing experience (for example light aircrafts below 2000kg MTOW) makes you ideal candidate. Does it really work like that? No need to be a graduate of a long professional TP course?