PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK's P-8s 'under threat'?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2017, 07:16
The Old Fat One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It was interesting to note the recently released timescales, and a little disconcerting. Back in the old MPA thread there was a lot of traffic related to possible in service dates, with even pessimists talking of 2018/19. Now it seems we are talking of quote one ac in UK by back end of 2020 unquote.

Any one who knows procurement is going to be having one thought when they read that....money. In other words that seems to be a budget necessitated timescale, for an item which, is at least partially, off the shelf kit (yeah I know, not internally yada yada).

Even if the tortured timescale is not just down to available dosh and is as much related to restoring the whole capability (and training operators) it still represents at least a nagging worry at this stage, because this is a real thing...

Given the pressure on the defence budget (see associated thread), this could provide a convenient excuse for politicians and the MoD alike. After all we've done without them for 8 (?) years now!
We all know how politicians think and behave, any old excuse will do.

Whilst it might not be time to fret too much (don't want to be excused of being overly pessimistic - fat chance lol) I'm not sure I'd be be planning my life round it if I was one of those involved, not without a Plan B at least.

On that note, some of these US seedcorners will be into/close to their fifties come 2020. Good luck trying to shepherd them into jobs/postings they are less than keen on.