PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sunwing pilot pulled off YYC flight due to intoxication
Old 2nd Jan 2017, 20:31
Pinkman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While I am aware that there are a few famous examples of both tech crew showing up intoxicated together, the cabin crew or other colleagues have called them out.
Not always:
The Road Back From Perdition Joseph Balzer, Lyle Prouse and his FE (Northwest 650). Lyle also showed what can be done to beat this curse and ended up re-hired and eventually retired from the LHS of a 747 (see "final approach").

I could share, perhaps even join in some of the self-righteous high-horse stuff on testing if we'd seen a string of airliners pranged in alcohol-related accidents. But the total is, er, zero. Total flight safety incidents, er, yes that's zero as well...(and yes, we would know since an incident will generally trigger a test)
You know, none of this matters: we can swap stats and opinions all night. We perhaps might agree it doesnt matter because we haven't "seen a string of airliners pranged in alcohol-related accidents". But it doesnt matter what you or I as individuals think - what matters is that the people at the back of the bus who are paying have an expectation that the crew are properly trained and that the airline has put in place arrangements to monitor performance.... and that the crew are physically able to do the job without impairment and that again, the airline has put in place arrangements to monitor that. I mean.. they have a duty of care... don't they?