PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EVA B777 close call departing LAX
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2017, 16:24
MrSnuggles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DuncanF

A question for non-native English speakers on PPRuNe ... what would be understood by the colloquialism "southbound"?
With all the usual disclaimers about me being a non-pilot, although very familiar with the common spoken language etc, I would absolutely imagine myself being confused by this word in a moderately stressed situation where directions are of the essence.

A native Swedish speaker, I would have no problems with the "south" part of the expression, but I can easily see that the part "bound" would have me reaching for the more dwindling parts of my brain. "Bound" is part of the verb "to bind" which would make me hesitate for those extra seconds about the meaning of this instruction. While I have heard the word "southbound" before it is always in the context of "he is going southbound on the M4" that is, the person is already travelling in the south direction.

"Southwards" would be easier for me as a Swede to associate with an instruction to turn south because I am currently heading in the wrong (that is, north) direction. The use of "wards" is the same as in "towards" and thus is easier to understand for me.

These chaps were Asian and I do not know how much this might have affected their thinking. Usual disclaimers about Indo-European (esp. Germanic) vs Asian languages apply.