PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2017, 15:55
JW411

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Brian 48nav and Chugalug2:

Dave Carter was probably the best mate that I ever had and I miss him deeply. About 2 years before I retired from professional flying at age 65, I bought a Piper PA-28 which I kept at Shoreham. I started a monthly Old Pharts club whereby, once a month, four of us would fly somewhere for lunch and tell each other lies.

As it so happens, I took the officer Carter on his very last flight. As best as I can remember it was 15.02.08 (the day after his birthday). We (or the weather) decided that we were going to Lydd. I invited him to get into the left seat and take us there. He had not been particularly well and he said that my insurance company might not like the idea.

"F**k the insurance company" said I "get in and do it". And do it he did in his usual immaculate manner. Bob Osborne flew us back after a good lunch. Dave thanked me for letting him have a go and two weeks later he was dead.

At the risk of starting another thread drift, I am convinced that letting him and so many others watch the serious firework displays off Christmas Island with very little protection might well have expedited his end.

Here is Captain Carter about to commit his last piece of avaition.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Carter.JPG (39.2 KB, 61 views)