PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Former Paras prosecuted for Murder in 1974
Old 2nd Jan 2017, 15:10
Shack37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HH
Shack - I'd love to see former senior members of the IRA stand trial but you have to face up to it - it's not going to happen.
To bring about an end to the fighting and killing we had to cut a deal with men and women who had blood up to their elbows. Morally it is repugnant but practically it was the only way. We've done it before (Kenya, Israel, Cyprus.....) and others have done it elsewhere (think Columbia).
You can go for the complete and total amnesty route as they did in Chile but then a lot of people such as victims famillies on both sides are left very upset and you still finish up in the courts.

In this we are in total agreement but how many British forces veterans of the campaigns you mention, Mau-Mau, Palestine and EOKA are being investigated? Why is it only those who served in Northern Ireland who are being pursued?

Twice I have mentioned Adams and Maguinness. There is no doubt that the latter was a PIRA commander in Londonderry and Adams has been linked to the disappearances and murders of many people. The sons of Jean MaConnell still live in fear because their mother was dragged away in their presence and they know who the cowardly bastards were who took her, tortured and murdered her. It has been said more than once that it was Adams personally who ordered this.

If there is a Heaven and Hell I know where IŽd like to see these two go.