PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - V2
Thread: V2
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2017, 10:37
Judd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good discussion, and I really value the ops engineering insights from JT.
Agree wholeheartedly. Over many years I have read countless articles on the subject of V1 and its ramifications. What stuck firmly in my mind was the potential danger of over-run in any limiting length runway rejected take off nearing V1.
This observation came to the fore during the numerous simulator sessions I attended during my career where pilots invariably cocked up rejected take offs on marginal length runways especially wet surface. It could have been due to the surprise factor for example, or delays in extending speed brakes and even rejected a take off because of a gut feeling that something was not quite right. Even though nothing wrong with the aircraft.

I quietly came to the conclusion from the time I had my first command that 15 knots below V1 I would continue the take off. Screen height might be compromised but statistically I felt I would not hit a tree branch during climb-out. To this day I remain comfortable with that policy regardless of legal ramifications.

I kept my thoughts to myself about all this because to inform a co-pilot during the before take off safety brief would only invite pursed lips and eyes rolling in terror at such a heinous decision requiring a dobbing in to management. The CVR was kept in the dark for obvious reasons.

in short, my decision in this matter of V1 was based upon reading world wide accident reports of fatal high speed aborts which need not have occurred but for mis-judgement by the pilot. In other words learning from someone else's experience, which is no bad thing