PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TP Command or Jet F/O?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2017, 07:27
microkid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can see we're making that mistake of trying to distinguish differences between the turboprop or jet lifestyle however we are really talking about regional, low cost, mainline etc. Some of the best airlines around are regional operators who do happen to operate modern glass turboprop aircraft like the ATR 72-600 in addition to regional "jets". I actually see many guys looking to "upgrade" from the low cost carriers to the regionals for a number of reasons already highlighted in this thread (me being one of them). However many don't get accepted as they have no previous turboprop experience. I've personally found that the RATE of pay in a good regional carrier (within Europe) is actually higher than the LCC's which tends to get missed.

The "equipment" you fly can be a separate issue really. The likes of the ATR 72-600, Airbus 320, Boeing 737 etc are all on a level playing field, all good types to have on the licence. I could actually argue that the ATR is the best type to have at the moment for a number of reasons. If you like a challenge then the ATR is actually one of the most difficult aircraft to operate compared to the likes of the DHC8, A320, 737 etc.

So, a command upgrade opportunity on an ATR is as good as any other type out there. Don't be fooled into thinking that moving to an LCC or mainline operator is progression, I can assure you that it's not. You're lucky to be within a regional carrier already, progression is taking command then moving into a training position for example. You'll be in a better position for moving into a better regional airline if it suits.