PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - V2
Thread: V2
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2017, 04:01
Slippery_Pete

Received 380 Likes on 72 Posts
Good discussion, and I really value the ops engineering insights from JT.

My humble opinion on this: while I find the technical descriptions and changes in the orders over time very interesting, most of the very pedantic consideration is academic and not useful practically.

I wouldn't expect to find any pilots in Australia flying transport category who don't understand the concept that you must have started doing something to stop by V1.

The discussion about V1-1 or V1-0.000001, and deciding to go after commencing a stop - all a bit of a waste of time. The stress which occurs with a V1 stop/go will, for 99% of pilots, not afford the required headspace to do something like change the mind. In the sim when you're expecting - maybe yes.

If the runway speeds are brake energy limited, it might be better to commence a stop above v1 and risk a brake fire. If runway length was limiting, it would probably be best to go. All interesting to discuss, but who is going to have that sort of headspace available to decide when it all turns to ****?

As someone said earlier, KISS.

The only reason I'd actually commence a stop after v1 would* be if the aircraft is definitely not going to fly - like a structural or controllability failure.

Last edited by Slippery_Pete; 2nd Jan 2017 at 06:32.