PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - V2
Thread: V2
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2017, 00:26
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What was the first aircraft in Australia to have V1 & V2 speeds, the DC-4, Electra?
Folks,
Anybody remember the Caribou Ansett bought for PNG --- DCA insisted on applying "modern" takeoff performance criteria, which made the airplane useless for the intended purpose in the highlands, but the DC-3/C-47 soldiered on for years after the Caribou was sold, as DCA only applied the old Developmental Air Services rules to the Dak.

Typical of bureaucratic application of arbitrary criteria. The problem with commons sense is that it is so uncommon.

John T,
Many thanks for your contribution, so many of the posters not only have no idea of the developments of the standards since the original SFAR 422B, but are totally resistant to any modification of their chosen misinterpretation, and I just shake my head at the cut and paste brigade --- they found "it" printed somewhere, so "it", or more accurately, their interpretation of "it" must be correct.

Never let the facts stand in the way.

All,
The point I have been trying to make, all along, is that, despite changes over the years, including the details of how an actual number is derived, the cockpit meaning of V1 should be very clear, and KISS must prevail.

V1 is NOT a decision speed.

Tootle pip!!

PS: "small" changes are not trivial, the Australian unique rules John T mentioned, that were swept away in mid-1998, by the only so far successful regulatory reform of CASA rules (CASR Parts 21-35) saved Qantas a fortune --- because payloads at limiting range out of mid-length runways increased by 50% or more for the B767. In particular, we were no longer required to comply with the Australian unique requirement, in calculating performance, to allow for a 2 second ALL ENGINE acceleration beyond V1, then transition stopping and finally full stopping.
Unsurprisingly, this Australian unique requirement , had it been applied universally since the dawn of the jet age, would not have changed the outcome of even one single flight, but Hey!!, you can't be "too safe", can you??