PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2017, 20:19
Danny42C

Many Things.

Geriaviator (pp Rupert Parkhouse, #9934),
...which was the round-the-bend hospital at Cleveleys [Hotel]...
Almost certainly the one formerly known as the "Norbreck Hydro"; in Rupert's time (and in my schooldays). Now the Norbreck Castle Hotel [Wiki]. Think the Ministry of Pensions (now DWP) had it at some time.

A bit hard, after all he'd gone through ! But then again, perhaps the psychiatrists (behind the scenes) were on to something. For:
...“I realised that if I did not do so then I would never lay the ghost of that awful mistake, which I think engendered a basic underlying fear of flying.”...
This is not healthy. We all make mistakes - the man who never made a mistake never made anything. But what is done is done, and cannot be undone. Learn from them - but don't let them prey on your mind.

I myself made a howling mistake that February day when I reduced my VV to scrap in the Arakan - my gunner and I survived only by a miracle; if we both had died, it would have been my fault. But I don't let that worry me.

esa-aardvark (#9940),
...whilst serving at Leuchars at the end of the mission they landed wheels up...
I assume he would be the Flight Engineer ? Was he the Engineer Officer of 82 ?.
...I do recall him telling me that they assembled the Vengeance without proper documentation, and had to adjust the Cycloneengines without the test equipment which he had just trainedon in USA...
This is pure gold to me ! For the very first time in almost five years I have support for the widely believed story that the first VVs were assembled as jigsaw puzzles (needs simple home assembly...!), all the paperwork having been lost in transit. If you have any more on this, please Post it, so's we can all enjoy it !

............................................................ .........

Chugalug (#9946},
...but you can spot a Mk4 when you see one...
Don't be too sure ! Camera angles can be deceptive. You've seen plenty of head=on Is, IIs and IIIs, what do you reckon ?
...As to mounting 'Battles' from the wrong side, I think that the right side was the Right Side, if you see what I mean?...
Frankly, no I don't. my revered young Mentor ! Are you saying that the stbd side was the correct side for any aircraft cockpit of this kind (of course the heavies had doors all over the place). What would a horse think ? You can't be serious ! (to coin a phrase).
...Oh, and the gubbins hanging down behind the mainwheels are the retraction jacks (see the cutaway Aeroplane drawing previously posted @ 9837)...
I read with difficulty with magnifying glass (having a Bad Eye Day doesn't help): "ACTUATING RODS & RAMS" . Still foxed. In all the retraction systems I know, the hydrauics are hidden up in the wheelwells. How would this rig work ?

Running a bit behind schedule tonight, consequence of enjoying myself hugely on "Capcom". What a pic ! This could run and run. Wouldn't like to judge it though."Wer die Wahl hat, hat der Qual" (Choosing hurts).

A Happy New Year to all our readers !

Danny.