PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - easyJet 2016
Thread: easyJet 2016
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2017, 19:38
antonioGr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I apologize in advance as this might not be directly related to the general discussion but I could not find a more appropriate place to post it.

I have a concern about the general nature of the MPL license. I was told by someone on the ATPL integrated course that MPL license holders can only fly as first officers and cannot be upgraded to Captains in the future. Obviously that initially sounded unrealistic as MPL is continuously gaining popularity and the MPL course entry criteria are more strict than on the ATPL.

Just to clear out any doubt I did some research and I found out that even though it's generally said that, as an MPL holder, after you reach 1500 hrs you can convert your license into an ATPL (unfrozen) there is a so called "multi-crew" limitation on your ATPL license which does not allow you to become Pilot in Command aka Captain.

Quote from the UK CAA website "There are two other training options, not already discussed. One is the Multi-Crew Pilot Licence (MPL) which some, although not all, UK airlines have adopted. MPL training is generally shorter and less onerous. However, MPL graduates are effectively restricted to the right-hand seat in the cockpit to fly only as First Officers. To become a Captain, the MPL holder would still need to acquire an ATPL."

Also its said that there are no records yet of MPL pilots who have moved to the left-hand seat in the cockpit as the program was first launched less than 8 years ago.

Is there anyone who can shed some light into this from their own experience?

Apologies for the long post.

Last edited by antonioGr; 1st Jan 2017 at 19:43. Reason: spelling