PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Slingsby Firefly's
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2003, 03:55
DB6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can only really talk about the 260 but 1 1/4 turn spins aren't a problem, you just need to start the recovery a bit earlier - the problem is making sure the aircraft is in the vertical on recovery as there will be significant sideways movement (as you were doing about 40-50 kts on entry) so you have to bung in a lot of pro-spin rudder again as soon as the spin stops. Too soon and you may have problems!
The high rotational spin question is interesting. For a start the main problem with them is not recovering as such but rather the huge amount of height it takes if the spin is fully developed . Recovery is simply a matter of maintaining opposite rudder and pushing the stick centrally forwards until the spin stops, which it always has for me. In the event it doesn't stop, there is a case for moving the stick slowly back then forwards again - this will unmask the rudder if the elevators (which have been fully down) have been shielding it.
If however the spin is not fully developed (which a 1 or 2 turn spin isn't) then recovery is much more immediate, and indeed if you have been flick-rolling you will find that you can speed up the rotation markedly by moving the stick forwards once the rotation starts. Stopping is normal flick roll recovery but you may have to be a bit brisker.
Now the interesting bit (which I have found by experimenting) is that in e.g. a 1 1/2 turn spin, after entry, by easing the rudder off the stop, you can slow the spin down a bit, and if at almost the same time you ease the stick forwards then precision recovery can be made by using much less than full opposite rudder and only a relatively small, but brisk, further forward movement of the stick to stop precisely on heading. I have used this method in competition and got consistently good marks (although I still can't nail the 45 degree line). What I will say is that if you're going to practice, give youself lots of height. I've never yet had any problems with the Firefly spin but I'm sure it could bite if provoked