PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sunwing pilot pulled off YYC flight due to intoxication
Old 1st Jan 2017, 12:11
Markdp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Markdp
Why is this only now becoming a big problem. It has been going on for many years. Maybe they need to change the rule of bottle to throttle to 18 hrs?
Pinkman

I don't think you understand the term bottle to throttle. It is a reference used in aviation for alcohol use prior to flying.(aviation Regulation). Simply put it means that if you are going to fly at 08:00 tomorrow morning, you will report for duty at 06:00(Normally 2 hours prior to departure, varies between operators) This means that you need to stop drinking 12 hours prior to reporting for duty I.E 18:00 today. This generally is OK for occasional and social drinkers, but not for heavy drinkers as a heavy drinker even if stopping 12 hours prior to reporting could still possibly smell of alcohol or even be over the legal limit at 06:00 the following morning.
In my experience over the years Aviation Crew are very professional and do follow these rules explicitly.(This Rule includes Cabin Crew)
However as mentioned above this rule does not cater for a heavy drinker hence my statement that bottle to throttle should be increased to 18 hours.