PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - V2
Thread: V2
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2017, 09:11
Band a Lot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At V1 and above, decision/s still need tobe made to continue or "try" abort.

* a critical engine (uncontained) failure at V1 - One must ask oneself. Will Ireach the required height above the takeoff surface within the takeoff distance? Or has this failure given me a lot more drag than I got in the SIM last week? A727 the other day may well have been better aborting above V1 than soldier on.

* Just hit V1 and God Dam it a 747 just pulled onto the my runway, right before my expected rotate point. Excuse me old chap, I am now at V1 would you mind moving off my runway? -------------Do you copy?

*V1 - Dear thrust reverser please retract, I am committed to take off and am getting dizzzy.

I think John has said it well - read the book but it isn't a bible, too many variables. But at V1 and above the "better option" is often, but not always to continue with the take off. The option is always there to abort at any speed above V1, but it will have levels of pain/hurt attached in many cases.

So V1 is where the preferred decision changes - below the preference is to stop, above preference is to continue with take-off.

Either way pick the one that will cause least fatalities, better still none.

Aerocat, what is the error of the ASI? so even V1 has a tolerance of acceptance.

the scale errors at the major graduations of the scale must not exceed ± 4 knots up to the maximum speed of the aircraft.

Last edited by Band a Lot; 1st Jan 2017 at 10:39.