PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Halton to close
View Single Post
Old 31st Dec 2016, 08:27
Proman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aren't the workshops listed?

Recently the workshops have been evacuated because of safety/structural issues with the roof. Ironically I believe it's because of failings in the laticed and longspan roof. These were built in a unique way by Italian POWs in 1918, and why the building(s) is/are listed. But clearly not maintained properly.

As a private citizen the council would serve an enforcement notice if I let a listed building I was responsible for fall into disrepair and disuse. One rule for me, but another for HMG who can ignore this and sell up, allowing bulldozers to solve the problem? This I believe is/was the start of the 'excuse' to sell the site follwojng the airfield annohncement last June. Farbeit to suggest deliberate failure to maintain the site, giving the sale excuse, for that would be criminal. Lets settle for negligent then. Who's to blame?

On another point, Halton is the Deferred Facility safety site for nearby Chequers. If the PM needs security, Halton House is the first choice and its physical security reflects this. It's also used for press conferences such as POTUS visits. So can the Aylesbury Holiday Inn expect a booking in future?!

Emotional, yes. I was born at Halton, and so was my Mother, first ever birth at the former hospital in 1922. The history of the Halton estate and its contribution to UK defence is great and also historic and emotional. However this is about neither of those. This is about practicality, location, resources and why once sold, this site, close to London, with extensive possibilities, can never be rebought. Cash in the bank is all the bean counters of this generation understand.

Isn't it about time we heard the views of the Staish? Or is there a political silence in place.