PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Offshore Helideck Ops
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2003, 00:50
Outwest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PM.... Pingle silot ? At what time of the day and number of rums did you make this post? Yes, this debate is about as old as the chicken and the egg. If memory serves (and that is starting to go now as well) The check pilot in question was of the opinion that during a OEI overshoot just prior to COMMITED, that the pilot with the derrick on his side was in a better position to see the edge of the deck (the side the pnf is on) for the escape. That was where I disagreed. He would have no view of the water, which in my opinion was a far greater obstacle to avoid. I pointed out that in mountain flying (which the check has no experience in) you ALWAYS approach so that the escape route is on your (PF) side.
Now, having said that, I firmly believe that in normal day to day ops, the landing pilot SHOULD, not SHALL, be the one with the obstacles (ie. derrick, railings , crane etc.) on his side during the landing. This to preclude bashing the tail rotor or other bits into the rig during postioning for touchdown. You will notice I said SHOULD, as PM stated there are occasions when it is safer to do it the other way (very inexperienced co-pilot comes to mind). It is, has been, and always will be the Capt's ass on the line here. The whole idea of a CAPTAIN is to use his knowledge, experience and good judgement to bring everyone home safe, not create robots or worse yet "press the green button now....get a banana" approach. Ok, done ranting. And I haven't even had my first rum yet! Over to you.