PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SOUTHAMPTON
Thread: SOUTHAMPTON
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2016, 15:44
Rivet Joint

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes the facts currently point to it being a hard fix but at the end of the day an airport being closed for a full day because of some fog is pathetic. Fog is predicted tomorrow which means two days where time stands still and the airport just doesn't function. Yes SOU is not LHR but it is also not some dirt strip out in Timbuktu. The airport is hugely important to the local economy and if some trees need to be cut down to increase the environment in which it can operate safely then the local authority should be facilitating that. If the shed near the railway works is too tall then it shouldn't have been given permission. All buildings of any relevant height are assessed prior to permission being granted. Someone messed up there or maybe the airport didn't have the foresight to think that down the line that would be an obstacle for its growth. I suspect the latter. We are talking about people who built a car park so close to their runway that it affects their operations. I mean you seriously couldn't make it up! What's key to our business? The runway and stands where the aircraft which are the defining feature of our business depend on. No, the car park which makes us a few quid in the short term is more important. That's what grates the most for me personally, the sheer lack of ambition and short sightedness that is constantly undermining the growth of their business. I am sorry but it cannot be a coincidence that the grinning goon has been in charge throughout. Some change is much needed but the nature of a pension fund is that they want a safe investment. It doesn't matter the the returns are small as long as they are dependable. It's a shame someone did not step in when it was up for sale who would have speculated to accumulate. If someone is willing to spend 50mil at BOH then we should expect the same for SOU. Can you imagine what could be achieved at SOU with that sort of money.