PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sea Vixen Fuel Management
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2016, 15:39
safetypee

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Following a brief and exciting association with the Sea Vixen, I concluded that it was an aircraft where the adage "if I can start it, I can fly it" did not apply. The parking brake being the problem.
Any flight without a fuel pump failure was a success. (was it 10 switches on the gang bar to get them on, but not so many to turn off after flight, and nearly as many white 'dolls eyes')
The inboard engine would flame out at high altitude with any slight disturbance; I didn't know that, so back to re read the pilots notes - a short two line entry explained the problem (pt 3, 2, c).

Then there was mod xxx, which enabled the approach speed to be reduced by 5 kts; wow what great aerodynamic achievement was this. None could be found on the airframe, but the small print in the tech log explained that if the bubble canopy was fitted then with a higher seat position the speed could be reduced.
Transonic flying was always full of surprises; the control system changed gear. A slight wing drop approaching M1.0 (pilots notes) was invariably a roll through 180deg followed by a supersonic recovery.

A few years later I was able to exchange experiences with one of the DH test pilots. After several beers we concluded that the difference in our views was due to the intervening years and experience; his stopped with the Vixen, mine started with the Lightning.
The Sea Vixen was a very good aircraft for its time, and in latter years enabled me to enjoy a rewarding love-hate relationship. Sadly my aircraft had to go to the drone factory.