PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EFB and CPL flight test/training
View Single Post
Old 29th Dec 2016, 22:45
Ixixly

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Squawk7700, take your TSO'ed GPS and disable the fan inside and stick it in the sun and see how long it lasts as well...

If you stick a piece of electronics in the sun without adequate cooling of course you're going to have a bad day! Take your iPad and put it in a reasonable position (out of the sunlight) and you won't have any problems with it overheating, there are some excellent panel mounts you can get installed that will assure this! This just comes down to thinking it through like ANY piece of equipment.

Remember that all TSO'ed means is that someone has spent a butt load of money to have it certified as such, it does not mean that a Non-TSO'ed is necessarily inferior just that it has not been tested and there are different levels of TSO, it does not necessarily mean it has reached some Gold Standard.

TangoAlphad, the iPad itself is a multifunction tool, but the EFB software being used is not, it is purpose built if you're using ones such as Avplan or Ozrunways! I've had failures on TSO'ed equipment the same as I'm sure just about everyone else here has, once again, TSO doesn't make it foolproof, just means it has been tested to meet a certain standard, not even necessarily the highest standards.

When I first saw this thread I struggled to think of what would be best, I personally think we should embrace such technology, it is invaluable when used correctly like anything else, having your maps and charts available so quickly and easy, having them easily readable as well is fantastic! Flying Bear seems to have the best answer as to how it should be used, they're a perfectly legal and acceptable replacement for Paper Charts, infact I consider them to be far superior, no more being caught out with an old map or chart because you haven't had time to get into the big smoke and purchase the right charts or because your shop has run out of the one you needed!! Just about everyone has access to a reasonable internet connection even if it's through their phone to update their chosen EFB and as mentioned before a backup isn't terribly expensive. Infact if you work it out over a year or two you'll find the EFB will pay for itself depending how many maps, charts etc...you need to keep subscriptions for!