PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - For the thinker in GA! In defence of the employer
Old 14th Aug 2003, 23:00
jon.pierre

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Surely its up to the government.They put out the award figures etc.Not knowing much about the laws(only find out when i break one) how come places paying under award wages arent prosicuted or taken out of bussiness.
Aussierotor , a prudent observation if there is anyone from the government reading.

The award has comes up for conversation on and off at work with many spouting opinions about what employers must do, often without actually bothering to ask people who actually should know.

Not having read the Workplace Relations Act (and still haven’t), I asked wageline and was told (if anyone can show them or my interpretation of their jargon to be wrong I’d be keen to here about it);
There are three levels of cover for employees.
1. Respondents Award: Conditions negotiated between parties in the industry, normally unions and businesses. Business can sign off on the agreement, but this award is only binding on those that do. The only motivating force for a business to join comes through unionised strength.
2. Common Rule Award: Conditions layed down by government and is binding to all involved in a specified industry.
3. Workplace Relations Act or Industrial Relations Act… oh, one of the acts. The act covers more general rights of public holidays, and minimum annual leave but, doesn’t cover salaries at all.

The cover flows down in that order. What the respondents award does not cover, may not be below the common rule award and what that doesn’t cover reverts to the act… PROBLEM. The “PILOTS’ (GENERAL AVIATION) AWARD” is a RESPONDENTS award…
The award is binding upon each of the employers and/or operators named in Appendix A; each pilot identified in 5.2, and the Australian Federation of Air Pilots.
So if the company is not a signatory, revert to next level of cover, the common rule award… Doh, another problem. There is NO COMMON RULE award for pilots at either state (at least not NT) or Federal levels.

The act doesn’t cover salaries or even sick leave, so GA pilots are left with basically no minimum binding cover.

Now that does not include all businesses, many are listed in the appendices. Many businesses that are not, provide for staff by (or very close to) award conditions anyway. Those that don’t, and are being defend here, are probably the minority.