PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying in the NW (West Cheshire)
View Single Post
Old 29th Dec 2016, 17:31
octavian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sci-fi draws our attention to the remarks in Pooleys (and AFE Flight Guide) about winds creating turbulence at Hawarden, and suggests that this "for the Tomahawk aircraft makes it practically un-flyable above 12 Kts". I always thought the Tomahawk had a demonstrated crosswind component of 15Kts which, on the basis of a wind, for example, 270/20Kts and runway 22 in use would give a component of 15Kts. The factor to consider is turbulence, which might make it slightly harder work, but is unlikely to be outside the demonstrated component. It is worth mentioning that there a number of Tomahawks which seem to be operated quite successfully from Hawarden.

Of course, there are aircraft other than the Tomahawk. The PA28 series have a 17Kt demonstrated component, and others may have higher figures. I would suggest that with a full (and very good) ATC service providing measured winds on a two minute average basis and instant wind readings on request, pilots operating out of Hawarden have more information available to enable them to judge wind factors than many other airfields.

Before you ask, yes I do fly from Hawarden, yes I do fly Tomahawks.