PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tracey Curtis-Taylor (Merged threads)
View Single Post
Old 29th Dec 2016, 12:39
Clare Prop

Received 228 Likes on 104 Posts
I can't see anything positive about it though Sam, quite apart from the claims of doing this solo she has belittled some true pioneers and those who have earned RAF wings, calling herself a "bird" (What century is she living in?) who "needs a drink" and happily admits to breaking rules, a condescending attitude towards African ATC, the list goes on and on; if there had been people in that helicopter she taxiid into they would have been killed; this hardly makes her a role model.

She was someone who made a TV reality show and her reality was that we "brave" little women can't manage without a massive team of men to back her up. Most of us women pilots don't want to be told "you've done so well, for a girl" we are just getting on with it, in my case training the next generation, men and women, makes no difference. What makes a difference is things like scholarships (I wouldn't have been able to get where I am without one) something to go towards the harsh reality of paying for flying training. How many scholarships could all that money have paid for? Outreach my

Some research would have been nice, I saw a vid of her giving a talk, saying people like Amy were "breaking records" no, they were the first and there was some very substantial prize money, but they had to finish the flight before they got the prize. Big difference from having corporate sponsors.

In July Fedor Konyukhov broke the record for fastest circumnavigation in a balloon, SOLO. In August 18-year-old Lachlan Smart became the youngest person to fly around the world SOLO. Paraplegic Dave Sykes flew a microlight SOLO from England to Australia. These are the achievers who deserve recognition.

Sorry mods for not coming up with anything new. This has been really annoying me for a long time.