PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Forces braced for more cuts .....
View Single Post
Old 29th Dec 2016, 12:16
Chugalug2

Received 236 Likes on 72 Posts
Never say never! The MOD is not known as the Ministry of Waste for nothing. The results of such incompetence are well known and seriously compromise governments of all hues. It is quite likely that the manifesto of a "populist" party will include major surgery of such Departments of State. Everything is possible and the experts seem to be caught out time and time again. Of course the MOD turkey won't go for it, but if a mandate to its reform is in the hands of a new PM then game on.

I see your MO now, a thousand mile march and all that. Well, all very good, but I make the point that the success gained can be lost at a stroke, just as airworthiness, IFS, etc was. Somehow the interests of the Services must be paramount. I strongly suggest that they are not under present arrangements. Airworthiness is obviously a pre-requisite of any Air Force, for one that goes to war ridden with unairworthiness is doomed. That is what happened to the RAF, and it was done by RAF VSOs in the MOD. That cannot happen again, it must be prevented from happening again.

That is why we need a Separate and Independent Regulator. That is how Flight Safety is supposed to work, ie find out what went wrong and take action to prevent a recurrence. Not a lesson understood by the MOD or the RAF High Command, I fear.