PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My dream - advice please (collective thread)
Old 28th Dec 2016, 23:04
pilotflyingrocks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Andy,

In terms of the best way to start flying is as you say, go and get some lessons from your local club and start working towards your PPL (A), not the microlight as I'll explain. This will allow you to get some advice and you'll learn what the different types of licenses and rating all mean, and what you need. But more importantly it will allow you to see if flying is really for you and how much you actually enjoy it. I understand what its like when researching all of this and not being able to work out what it all means.

The question I'd have for you is what sort of pilot you want to become? Recreational, instructor, bizjets, airline? There are many ways to achieve all of these. If it's commercial flying you want then don't bother with the microlights as that time wont count towards your CPL, so its kind of a waste of money aside from the fun factor.

The cheapest option is the modular route and will cost ~£60K. This is done by building on licenses ratings and experience and is generally more flexible. You will get PPL, night rating, build hours, ATPL theory exams, CPL, multi engine and instrument rating. Also an MCC if you want to fly multi crew. All of this is whats known as a fATPL. There is the more expensive integrated options where it's all done in one package. Integrated normally costs at least £100k. Have a look at the integrated vs modular thread.

Good idea to try and apply to the BA/Virgin cadetships however they are highly competitive, but you do have a job waiting for you at the end. It's also a good idea to have a bit of flying experience when you apply for these, even if its only a few hours, it shows good motivation.

Also I would recommend getting your class 1 first, as you don't want to spent tons on training only to find you cant get the medical at the end.

Just my thoughts, feel free to message