PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Egress Inverted
Thread: Egress Inverted
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2016, 14:09
Ebbie 2003

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is a good description of someone getting out of a PA28-181 that ended up inverted following an off airport landing here in Barbados 18 months ago.

Richard the pilot was none too happy to find himself in a position where he could not make the runway after the engine quit as he turned base; he's an experienced pilot, an FAA CFI and a major in the US Civil Air Patrol, also in his seventies and 20 stone plus - so it goes to show unexpected things happen.

At the point the engine quit he would have been at about 450ft AGL, turning left put him landing down wind but also dropped him down form GAIA airport so gave him another 130ft to play with - the tailwind would have added to the landing speed and here we do have winds (only scary landing I did here was a one-off clam day three years ago - very unnerving having no wind!)

Also when you have 20kt winds - one does have to tweak the pattern a little, personally I fly tight into the airport and never extend the downwind without climbing to or above the pattern height.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR14rzumIVQ

This interview was done a day or so after the incident by the local Nation newspaper - I think more people posting descriptions like this would be a boon to safety, the fact of not panicking comes through in what is said, just fly the airplane.

Last edited by Ebbie 2003; 28th Dec 2016 at 14:25.