PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air League: Proposed long distance award Kirk
Old 28th Dec 2016, 11:06
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From a photo elsewhere on PPRuNe, I opine that MK might at best somewhat repair his Cub. In the context of his adventure thus far, I have doubts that his repair would be one which is conforming, and airworthy. It won't be a rebuild.

If, (and it's a big if) he makes the Cub safely flyable, his award worthiness would be based upon what he does next:

If he flies a dubious aircraft onward to continue a recreational trip, he is being irresponsible, and undeserving. This would be re enforced if in doing that, he had yet another unsafe event, which could be attributed to the Cub not being properly repaired, airworthy, and he, medically fit for the flight.

Or, he makes the Cub safe for a ferry flight, has it duly inspected and issued a flight permit, is declared medically fit, and ferries it to a place where proper repairs are performed. That, in my opinion would be conduct which might make the trip award worthy as being adventurous and determined.

I hope that awarding agencies are avoiding issuing awards to people who blatantly disregard the norms of established safe piloting. Such piloting disregard dishonours those who work to make flying safe. Awards should be something which everyone can support, not something which leaves a large segment of the group holding their nose.