PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EFB and CPL flight test/training
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2016, 10:35
Flying Bear

Received 44 Likes on 5 Posts
Now the serious answer.

Up to date electronic charts are legal and therefore acceptable in a flight test. One would, of course, require a backup (paper charts or a second device). I'm happy to embrace the technology and examine pilots within a "real world" context.

However, if a candidate comes to me for a flight test with an EFB, I direct him / her to select the GPS function (ownship position) off - as it is a requirement of the test to be able to navigate using visual techniques (for VFR tests) and using the azimuth / CDI presentations in the test aircraft / sim (for IFR assessments). But full use of the electronic chart without "position assistance" is fine - and smart in my opinion. I personally use two iPads when the operator SOP allows it, and when I fly for myself...

But mcgrath50 is correct in his assertion that initial training needs to be done the "traditional" way - as this is the only time we as instructors can guarantee the underpinning knowledge is sound. Later in the training continuum we should introduce the responsible use of available technology. Better this than have trainee pilots experiment with it in secret (often with adverse results...).

God knows that I find it a lot easier to zoom in on Jeppesen plates on my iPad with my ever-aging eyes than squint at dog-eared bits of rice paper! And the night feature on JeppFD for approach plates - how awesome is that!