PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EVA B777 close call departing LAX
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2016, 10:15
Uplinker

Received 114 Likes on 70 Posts
If you look at webtrack they turned left, turned right (abeam the Montebello label on the map, turned left and then right.

This basically lines up with the various instructions as best I can tell.
Well.......apart from the fundamental 'heading 180 degrees' instruction !

As pilots, our primary response to any ATC heading instruction is the heading given. If we are told to turn onto a new heading, then that heading is the number one priority, and that 'number' is what we set with the heading knob. If the turn direction is not given or seems illogical or wrong, we will query that turn instruction. BUT we will not ignore the heading given, (as long as we are not being turned directly towards a hazard of course).

EVA015 were given a heading of 180 degrees. The actual turn direction might have been wrong or odd or whatever, but they :

a) failed to query the turn direction, and;
b) failed to turn onto the heading they were given.

They actually maintained a heading which was about 160 degrees opposite to what they were initially told (and read back) - despite repeated instructions to turn - and it could have got them killed. Twice. First with AC788 and again with Mount Wilson.

I still wonder if they had a compass/heading malfunction, because I find it hard to believe that a longhaul B777 crew would ignore such basic instructions otherwise.

Last edited by Uplinker; 28th Dec 2016 at 10:28.