PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - negative AOA in cruise
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2016, 09:36
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've never flown with an AoA. I've always been a pitch/power guy; probably because that was all I had, so learnt to make the best of it. I wonder at the clamour for these displays. I suspect the HUD guys might be in favour.
I do notice many cadets and line F/O's flying with the FPV On when the FD is also displayed. Now that seems daft to me. These same people don't understand the 'look thought the FD' concept and there they are with 2 displays. I ask them which they are looking at, and they claim both; but why.
There is no specific training given how to use the FPV, what its limitations are, what traps it has, when best to use it, when not. However, there are some who advocate its use on raw data ILS and on visual approaches in manual flight. IMHO it is so small and dynamic that it requires too much attention to follow it accurately, to the detriment of the whole scan; plus, on a visual approach I'd prefer to have more attention outside with a confirming glance inside at attitude, speed & VSI. On a low level base leg, after a circle, and with PAPI's, is the best place to focus your scan really on the FPV and not on the crash point? That teaching, by some SFI's, is personal opinion, but it is not taught as such.
FPV with no FD in a high bank level turn can be useful though.