PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which Aerodrome Mk III
View Single Post
Old 27th Dec 2016, 13:32
nvubu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How on earth did you find this aerodrome so quickly?
Bit of luck really, i first started searching for 1920s canada airfield - bur couldn't find any with a swimming pool Then I remembered this from your previous aerodrome
I thought my location would have been a give away!
So I thought to search (using Bing as I avoid Google if possible) in Calgary again and on the YYC Histoy page there is this
YYC Calgary International Airport has come a long way since its inception in 1914. Situated in Bowness, 10 kilometres from the city, the original airfield was comprised of a grass airstrip and a ramshackle hut, which served as both hangar and terminal building.

The Calgary Municipal Airport at Renfrew was established in 1928. Several of the hangars still exist and are in use today, even though the area has been converted to a residential neighbourhood. In 1938, the facility moved to its present location in Calgary's northeast and was christened McCall Field, in honour of Captain Fred McCall, a World War I flying ace and one of Calgary's pioneer aviators.
I couldn't find any likely images of Bowness, but the ramshakle hut didn't inspire confidence, then I looked for Calgary Municipal Airport - nothing, added Renfrew, and bingo, second image.
I followed this image down to the cbc website and subsequently tried to find the "several of the hangers still exist" hence the initial request for orientation.

Finally, I managed to notice the first image in the bing list - leads to a flickr site - it's the image before the link to the hangar.
There's an image of Bowness on the cbc website.

I also found the following images

Society of Alberta - click on the links of the left for more images
Post No 7 here pointed me towards the Glenbow Museum - but the images in the links had gone