PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which Aerodrome Mk III
View Single Post
Old 27th Dec 2016, 12:45
India Four Two

Received 75 Likes on 46 Posts
nvubu, very well done.

I was confused by your swimming pool reference, until I realized you were referring to my obfuscation.

I found the photo when I was researching Lincoln Park for my previous post. I was vaguely aware that there used to be an airport in the Renfrew Area, but I was stunned to discover that the hangar still existed. Since the Flickr photos in your post were taken, it has been nicely restored and is used by the Boys and Girls Club.

The Rutledge Hangar is listed in the Historic Places of Canada:

Heritage Value

The heritage value of the Rutledge Hangar lies in its representation of early twentieth century construction techniques for airplane hangars. Secondary value lies in its association with the establishment of commercial aviation in Calgary.

Calgary's Rutledge Hangar embodies a common construction method for early twentieth century airport hangars in Canada. The building is defined by its 80 foot span "Lamella Arch" composed of dimensioned Douglas fir planks arranged in a pattern of diamond-shaped frames. This framing system rests upon a reinforced concrete foundation and is laterally strengthened by exterior concrete buttresses. The simplicity of the design and the basic building materials made construction relatively easy: erecting the hangar took only three weeks and was completed without any sophisticated machinery. Though lightweight, the "Lamella Arch" was provided with robust stability through the reinforcing concrete elements. The current appearance of the hangar includes several more recent additions, including the two structures located at the east and west ends of the original building. The Rutledge Hangar is the last known extant example of this method of hangar construction in Alberta.
HistoricPlaces.ca - HistoricPlaces.ca

I hadn't heard of the Lamella Arch before. It's a beautiful, elegant design. This photo is not of the Rutledge Hangar, but it shows the simplicity of the construction:

I hadn't seen your image before. Where did you find it? The viewpoint is equivalent to a two-mile final for 35L at the International Airport. Nose Creek, in the foreground, has been "canalized" and today, runs in a straight channel, parallel to the railway, in order to make room for the Deerfoot Trail freeway, which now occupies the rest of the valley floor.

How on earth did you find this aerodrome so quickly?

Thanks for the video links. Very nostalgic for me - about the time I first came to Calgary. Trolley buses and DC-8s. That takes me back!

You have control.