PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A321: tail clearance Flap 3 versus Full
View Single Post
Old 27th Dec 2016, 12:40
Fursty Ferret

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sprinkles
I'd actually disagree Cough.

In my experience I'd say the 321 in Config 3 actually has a slightly lower nose attitude than in Config Full. Thus increasing the tail strike margin! which would agree with the original question.

An old GB airways capt once said its a nicer A/C to land than the 319/320 and I agree with him. Double slotted flaps make a big difference. His logic on why there's a lower nose attitude made sense to me.

Always interesting watching the cadets start the flare at 30 feet, fly level and wondering what's going on!
I agree, if conditions suit will always choose to land the A321 flap 3. You have to be slightly wary with tailwinds and an aircraft close to max landing weight due to the high Vapp and subsequent high rates of descent, but in general it's pretty forgiving.

The only occasions I've seen a high nose attitude on the A321 is flap full and an early flare. Flap 3 it will land, just firmly, where IMHO flap full leads to a float and a very firm touchdown with high pitch.

Cutting the power going through about 40 feet from a stable approach followed by a flare at about 30 feet is generally pretty foolproof thanks to the ground effect on a heavy 321.