PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A321: tail clearance Flap 3 versus Full
View Single Post
Old 27th Dec 2016, 10:38
Sprinkles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Full marks Vilas. However, back to the thread, I seem to remember the 321 having a marginally higher nose up attitude on final when F3 compared to Flap full, only by either a half or whole degree...
I'd actually disagree Cough.

In my experience I'd say the 321 in Config 3 actually has a slightly lower nose attitude than in Config Full. Thus increasing the tail strike margin! which would agree with the original question.

An old GB airways capt once said its a nicer A/C to land than the 319/320 and I agree with him. Double slotted flaps make a big difference. His logic on why there's a lower nose attitude made sense to me.

Forgive my basic aerodynamic explanation! It might not be perfect!

Less flap = slightly higher approach speed (VAPP) to produce comparable lift as in Config Full and maintain 3 degree slope.

The only way you're going to maintain a G/S at higher speeds is to lower the nose and increase the ROD.

It made sense to me and it seems to prove correct in the A/C.

I'm sure the differences are negligible (half - 1 degree) and the difference between Config 3/Full on a 321 are far less obvious than on the 319/320. Our outfit doesn't allow Config 3 on the 320 for normal ops.

I can't really comment on whether I flare any differently between the two Configs. It becomes rather subconscious after a while. Config 3 is a bit faster so its easier to over-do it and float a bit. Especially with a healthy h/wind.

Always interesting watching the cadets start the flare at 30 feet, fly level and wondering what's going on!