PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EFB and CPL flight test/training
View Single Post
Old 27th Dec 2016, 04:56
mcgrath50

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Or, should I continue solely using paper so I don't get used to the connivance of a EFB and somewhat loose my 'paper skills'?
Bingo, i'd be surprised if they let you use an EFB and to be honest, if they do i'd question if they are a very good school to be with.

Build the skills for the (relatively short) time you are studying for a CPL so when you jump into the real world, which is all GPS, EFBs and FMS, you have that gut understanding to know when things aren't right and of course have the skill to fall back on should everything go tits up!

If you are considering being a commercial pilot, while we all use EFBs these days bear in mind a number of charter companies will make you do DR nav during your line training and obviously if you choose to become a flight instructor you will need to teach DR. So even if you think you can get away with not knowing it, you can't. It's a skill that will still be tested in the real world, even if you (hopefully) never use it in anger, as it's a simple skill that can save your butt!