PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EVA B777 close call departing LAX
View Single Post
Old 26th Dec 2016, 20:46
henra

Received 104 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Ushuaia
I too hope this lady gets back to work soon, as well as the crew if it's true that they were stood down too. I have no doubt they are all proud professionals.

Hmm, dunno. It is not so much the error made (that was a rather minor one -can happen) that shocks me but the total collapse of structure on both sides following that small hickup.
The pilots seemed to have frozen and merrily continued towards the Mountains on opposite direction to the one given by ATC even after repeated requests to turn even if erratic in detail. All this in a relatively benign (at least initially - they let it become critical by no structured action for several minutes) situation.
The controller got into panic mode a few seconds after she made a minor mistake.
Both showed personality traits that are profoundly worrying in their respective profession. And this cannot simply be fixed by a few hours training. I would not want to think about what all of them would do in a direct emergency situation. Resilience should be a top personality criterion in both professions: Airline Pilot and ATC.