PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A Part 61 conundrum for Australian ATPL applicants
Old 26th Dec 2016, 18:18
havick

Received 46 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by das Uber Soldat
No, what I'm really saying is that even if everything you accuse of me of your in post were true, none of it has the slightest bit of relevance to the topic at hand. That's what 'irrelevant' means.

My argument is for the large number of people who now have to endure this expensive, arduous and ultimately pointless box ticking exercise. Your argument appears to be that because a few of us could have avoided the difficulties of this process, therefore the process itself is vindicated. Its a non sequitur.

Now do you actually have a point that is any way relevant to that argument? Or do you just want to continue with your ad hominem?
I got my CASA helicopter ATPL out of a cornflakes box under the old system. Though since I've moved to the US I've had to take a flight test for my helicopter FAA ATP, and now I also had to do the FAA ATP-CTP course (around 7k fortunately my airline pays for that) and take my ATP fixed wing flight test as part of my final type ride on the embraer 145.

I guess my point is that there's no reason that Australia shouldn't have a flight test like the rest of the world.

I don't agree with all the requirements that CASA have lumped into it, but the FAA process is now arguably equally as expensive now that you have to do a CTP course which requires 10 hours in a level D sim, just to be able to take the ATP multi engine fixed wing written.

So yes, I think CASA should change some things about the ATP flight tests, but I don't disagree with the fact that an Aussie wanting an ATP should be required to take a flight test like the rest of the world regardless of your background.

You had the opportunity to go the cornflakes box route, and chose not to, so I have no sympathy about you moaning about the current requirements.

Before you tell me to pipe down, I personally facilitated the first two CASA helicopter ATPL's under PT61 (I was in the aircraft) and helped make the cost cheaper to subsequent applicants by working with the AHIA and CASA with regard to aircraft types that can be used amongst a host of other items.

By the way, did you actually make any submissions under the NPRM time before PT61 was put into effect or are you now complaining after the fact?